Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Eye Opener: Week 1: Ecological Footprint

I took the IUHPE Ecological Footprint quiz. It told me that if everybody were like me we would need 4.8 planet earth's to provide enough resources.  This is really interesting, mostly because I think that most people don't live like me. I feel like I live relatively conservatively compared to a lot of people I know. One thing that really skewed my number is the amount of hours I spend flying, I'm a private pilot, so I spend a lot of time in the air. I do think that I make up for that in the miles that I don't drive however. I take the bus to and from school everyday, and a rarely take a car somewhere, unless I need to.
In short, I guess there are a few more little things I could do to use less resources, and help my utilities bill also. But the best thing for the environment would probably be for me to help other people be more environmentally conscious.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you have to say about your results being skewed. It goes for a lot of instances where someone might be a private pilot, a bus driver, or anything else like that. I feel like I'm pretty conservative to in some aspects, but my results were high like yours, too. It's scary to think of all the people in the world that live so selfishly compared to us... they must need like 10 Earth's to hold them! Keep doing what you're doing, I'm sure you are making an impact on our Earth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4.8 earths is a lot! I just don't understand how if all the billions of humans are using like 5 earths, how do we even live on Earth if we supposedly would have used up all the resources in around 2 days? I will definitely have to go and do my own research on this.

    ReplyDelete