Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Eye Opener: Week 2 CSPI

My eating green calculator was off the charts. Apparently in one year I consume 1.8 acres of grain and grass needed for animal feed, that seems like a lot of grain. The number I think was low was that I only use .6 pounds of pesticides to produce that animal feed, I thought it would take a lot more than that to grow all that grain. I cause the use of 72.4 pounds of fertilizer, and the animals produce 12444 pounds of manure. That's a lot of manure. I guess I do eat a lot of meat, so those numbers are fair.
As far a the "Improve your diet" part goes, I choose not to change anything. I think that I eat a healthy amount of protein. I do, however, think that where I get my meat from makes it more environmentally friendly. I rarely buy meat, most of what I eat is wild game that I harvest myself. I don't see how I could reduce the amount of dairy products I consume either, without sacrificing some health. But what I can do is help educate people who use those same resources to produce less healthy food, empty calories, or junk food. Because I think I do what I should for the environment, I chose not to take the pledge. Although I will take some of their information into consideration.
Then when I got to the score your diet page, I found that the amount of dairy product I consume seems to be the worst for the environment. My best column was the health score, and that makes sense, because I try to eat healthy. The big numbers in fruits and vegetable really helped that score. My worst column was by far the environmental score, I guess that might be because I never really thought of that. But, again, the dairy products seem to hurt my score a lot.
Overall the reports showed that I eat Relatively healthily, but I should become a little more aware of the environmental impacts of my diet choices.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you chose to not take the pledge because you have valid reasons not to! I think it's environmentally friendly that you usually only eat food you hunt yourself, rather than buying store bought foods (and who knows what kind of things those animals were fed and their living environments).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's pretty cool that you harvest your own meat. It really helps you control what types of chemicals are in the meat you eat: if you eat your own harvested meat, you get none of the added hormones that farms use to grow animals fast. Way to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was a good choice that you didn't take the pledge. It sounds like you do a great job of being environmentally friendly and healthy as is. And I also think it's great that you hunt and eat that meat instead of purchasing it in the stores. My family hunts too and I think it's a very good way to be "green" and also it's way healthier!

    ReplyDelete