Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Eye Opener: Week 8 Junk on the Brain

Here are some terms relating to Junk with definitions from Merriam Webster:
Antique- a relic or object of ancient times or: a work of art, piece of furniture or decorative object made at an earlier period and according to various customs laws at least 100 years ago
Junk(1) : old iron, glass, paper, or other waste that may be used again in some form (2) : secondhand, worn, or discarded articles (3)
b : something of poor quality c : something of little meaning, worth, or significance
Flea Market a usually open-air market for secondhand articles and antiques.
Thrift Shopa shop that sells secondhand articles and especially clothes and is often run for charitable purposes
Resale ShopThey usually sell mainly second-hand goods donated by members of the public, and are often staffed by volunteers. (From Wikipedia)
Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value. (Also From Wikipedia)

These terms have  a lot to do with environmental health. To start with all these things help keep stuff out of landfills, and also help stop new stuff from being manufactured (causing pollution, etc.).
 One place that I go to frequently in Duluth is Savers. They are located conveniently near the mall, next to target. They have really good deals on gently used donated items. I shop there frequently, that's actually where I found the pieces to make my Halloween costume.

Exploring on Junk Market Style, the first interesting project I saw was about a tricycle.  I think this is awesome just because it is a tricycle, anybody who doesn't think tricycles are cool can.... The second interesting project I saw was a silage shooter planter, which is great just because it is so simple, and looks great. A third project I saw was about a wheel well indoor planter, which interests me because I am really into growing my own vegetables, and this sounds like a great way to have a tomato plant inside over the winter.

3 comments:

  1. The wheel well indoor planter sounds like a really cool way to reuse it, and very innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also used savers to buy parts of my Halloween costume. I really liked all of your Junk Market Style projects they are all really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savers is a great place to find Halloween costumes! I talked to someone that found a costume that for almost a quarter of the price compared to the same on at the mall. You can find really good deals there!

    ReplyDelete