Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Share and Voice: Outside Activities

The last couple weeks I have heard a lot about people who don't spend enough time outside, especially kids and young people. So I decided that I would look up some activities that we can do outside, or do with kids we know to help get them outside.

The fist activity I saw was really simple, it is called night eyes. A lot of people never go outside when it is dark out and enjoy nature. People think that you need a flashlight or other light on to be outside at night. But this is far from the truth. All you have to do is sit outside for a while, and your eyes will adjust themselves to the dark, and it is amazing what you can see. On a clear night with a bright moon you'll find that there isn't much you can't see. After enjoying being in the dark, you might find its a waste to be around outside with a light on.

One that I think would be great for kids is camping. Just camping in the backyard would work. There is no need to get in the car and drive for hours to find a place to spend the night outside. Pitch a tent in the backyard, make some s'mores, maybe have a campfire if you can. This is a great way to introduce young kids to nature, and spend some time away from the TV.

I did find one place that doesn't really fit in with the theme of getting outside, but it is a good one for teaching kids about the environment. The EPA website has a load of games kids can play online and learn about everything from recycling, to the story of groundwater. It is great for kids who might not have as much information on those types of things as they should.

There are many things that kids can do outside. All it takes is someone to give them a little nudge. Go for a bike ride, play some frisbee, anything that gets kids outside is just great.


More activities at
Wilderdom
EPA

2 comments:

  1. Camping is so much fun and it's easy! When I was younger my friends and I use to pitch a tent in the backyard all the time. We would let our imaginations run wild and every time we were in the tent, we would be in a new imaginary environment! haha I like how to based your share and voive off of a topic that many have been talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to play outside all the time at night when I was little with all the children in my neighborhood. We always called it night games and it was so cool to see nature in the dark. Great topic, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete