Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Share and Voice: "Environmental Health : How to Save the Earth"

I had a novel idea the other day, I was wondering how we could save the earth. So I asked google how to save the earth, and this what I found.

This is just a short video about one thing you can do to help save the environment. In this video Ray Olson talks about the impact you can have just by growing your own food. He points out that food in the grocery store travels an average of 2,000 miles. You can really cut down on your carbon footprint by not buying food there. Another advantage of growing your own is that you know exactly what you are eating. You know that you are not getting a vegetable soaked in herbicides, or a fruit covered with pesticides. Also you are getting the freshest food possible by going out to your garden, picking something, then eating it; rather that having it harvested, processed, and shipped all the way to your store.
This same guy has several other short videos on youtube that have good tips also.

3 comments:

  1. Cool video. I had read about how far food travels when I did my read 'n' seed and it is just shocking how far it does travel. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! 2,000 miles?! I've always wanted a garden, and this is just one more reason I should some day! Good find! I also think its interesting how easy it is to "Google it", for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing your own food is a concept that many believe isn't possible now days, but it is. The more people who start to grow their own food, the better it will be for our planet. As long as people can get educated on how to grow their own food and that they realize that it is possible, we will be helping mother nature!

    ReplyDelete